Sunday, November 06, 2011

FISHING TRIP




I’ve got something I think it’s a big one Mum I can feel it tugging here it comes Oh MAN!!! It’s just another fishing line.

My favourite part about Stewart Island was the fishing (along with like 28 more kids that thought the same) We were waiting on Ulva Island for the boat to come over and pick us up so that we could swap over and go fishing, when we saw the big boat sailing towards us. We were waving and shouting like crazy monkeys. Why? Because we couldn’t wait to go fishing and see what amazing fish we would catch.

So we swapped over with Group 2 and set off. It took a good 10-15 minutes to get out to where we were going to start fishing.
Tai was teaching us how to cast our nets into the water. At first I didn’t get it but after a while I got the hang of it.

By the time I had cast my rod in the deep blue sea the first fish had been caught. But by whom? Then I saw who it was.  Rory was holding the first Blue Cod of the group. Lucky Fella!!!

About 5 minutes had passed and Ashleigh felt a tug on her line it took a while to reel in whatever was at the other end of her line but soon enough she pulled up an ugly looking OCTOPUS!!!

EWWWW I said as the gross octopus was getting sliced into bits (poor octopus) but suddenly the octopus tentacles were moving! Tai said it was just the nerves that were making the octopus move. What a relief!

Around 12 more people had caught a fish and I was starting to get bored. SUDDENLY Renee B pulled out a massive ugly fish (I can’t remember the name of the fish, so let’s just say ugly fish and you’ll know what I mean) But what was gross about that fish is that it had MASSIVE sharp teeth. Still that’s not the worst part the fish was uneatable so Francois threw it back in the water and the fish was still floating! Well it was dead but it gets worse the fish spat out its GUTS. it looked like a big airbag coming out of its mouths.
A little while later I felt a tug on my line I started to reel in the fish AAARRRGGGHHH after 2 minutes of straining and pulling the fish finally came into view and I saw that it was THE UGLY FISH not the exact same one that Renee caught    but the same type.


None of the class had any luck at the second spot that we moved to so we moved again to a third spot. Still no luck but what we did see was a seal and it looked like it was saying hello in sign language (you don’t see that everyday) Finally we got to the last spot before we had to go back to Ulva Island.

For some reason I felt really good about this spot but then again I didn’t have much luck with any of the other 7 spots. Tai said “Cast your rods in the water for the last time kids GOOD LUCK!”
When we were waiting for fish to nibble on our bait a big Skua called Rodger swept down from above and ate our brains!!! Nah just joking. It was actually a trained bird according to Tai. So he waved a piece of bait in the air and the Skua came over to eat it. Tai threw the bait high in the air and Rodger caught it! I had a go but the bait ended up in water.

SUDDENLY when Tai said “Reel in your rods kids it’s time to go back” I felt a fish nibble on my line! I hooked the fish on my rod and reeling the rod in very quickly I was starting to cheer because I saw a huge Blue Cod YAY!!! I shouted with excitement as I pulled the fish out of the water.

The Francois said I had to kiss it. So I did EWWW yuck fish breath. When Tai cut the fish up and put it in the bucket it was still wriggling. It sent a shiver down my spine.

5 minutes later….

Wow Robbie gets to drive the boat UNFAIR!!! Tai

On the way back to Ulva Island we got greeted by some visitors DOLPHINS!!! How cute were they?

Well I think that’s the lot and remeber be sure to go fishing at Stewart Island when you go.


By Brenna.

No comments: