Sunday, November 06, 2011

Fishing with the Mollymawks


I looked into the distance, took a deep breath, spread my wings and glided; I felt the cold gush of wind, which made a tingle run through my body, I felt like I would fly right to the horizon.

My name is Spencer and I’m a Mollymawk and I live on the Mutton-bird Islands and love it. I was born and raised here by my parents (they’re Mutton-birds) this just sounds like the ugly duckling all over again.

Every year we fly around Japan near Siberia, to Alaska, past California and back to New Zealand That’s what where doing tomorrow, everybody is getting ready for the big day or months. But there’s only one problem I can’t fly!

When I woke up in the morning nobody was there. I searched everywhere from the burrows to the tips of the tallest Rimu trees.
Nobody was there; a tear ran down my face.

After days and days of searching and loneliness I saw a large piece of metal floating on water with humans on it. What a strange sight!!?? I saw other birds around the boat they just looked like me! I just had to take closer look. So I walked towards it, and then I fell off the cliff I closed my eyes … DUN DUN DON!!!

I opened my eyes and I was gliding…

Soon I was by all the other birds they looked just like me. Some of those people on the chunk of metal were throwing me food I had never tasted anything like it! The metal floating towards the land.

I stayed with all the other Mollymawks. We had so much in common, I was happy from that day forward. We flew into the distance.
Abby

No comments: