Monday, November 07, 2011

Fishing Sam



 “I got one, I got one!” “Reel it in then!” “NGGG” “It’s a, it’s a- PIECE OF SEAWEED!?!”
A few days ago my class- Room 9 –went on our Year 6 camp to Stewart Island. Tuesday to be precise. We did a lot of cool (and not so cool) stuff like sitting through a DOC meeting and going to the local plant nursery and de-weeding it. See what I mean by not so cool? Anyway, now to tell you about the cool stuff. We went fishing!

Okay then, this is how it started. Early in the morning we got up, had breakfast, brushed our teeth- blah blab fast forward. We packed our day packs and put in our coats, our lunch, our drink bottles and some of us brought something to do between destinations. Next we headed down to the boat and hopped aboard- not literally of course. Then we were off! Once again, not literally otherwise this story would be about almost drowning. The boat stopped at Ulva Island and half of us got off. Not me though, I was in the group that went fishing first.

Now I’ll tell you a little about the boat. It was a Catamaran so no one got sick, unlike the boat ride to Stewart Island which got a little messy due to five metre swells. The boat’s interior was like a lounge area and was big enough to be one too. On the deck out the back there was a small table and a bucket for gutting the fish and storing them. The railing had gaps in it for fishing rods. It was a pretty awesome boat. All it needed was a home theatre system and a Jacuzzi with a water proof PlayStation 3 and a… The rest of the paragraph has been deleted due to the fact that it has nothing to do with fishing. We are sorry for any inconveniences that this may have caused.

Once we reached our first fishing spot a French man who wasn’t too grumpy about the World Cup final and owned the backpackers, which was where we were staying, showed us how to use the fishing rods. We were only meant to use ten rods at a time but someone picked up a sneaky eleventh and we stuck to that. I caught a total of four Blue Cod but I don’t think any of them were big enough to keep. I kissed my first fish- not on the lips but it was still pretty gross. Bleugh! Harry almost caught an Octopus but it let go once it was out of the water. Aw man!

I had caught one fish before that day so 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10… I’ve caught five fish in my life so far. Afterwards we had our Blue Cod battered by the Kai Kart. Mmmm. I definitely want to do that again someday.

No comments: