Tuesday, March 24, 2009


THE SECRET OF NATURE...

I bet you’ll want to know what the secret is.
I’ll give you a clue. It’s to do with the sunset.
We will tell you how sunsets work, no they are not made up of nuts and bolts and you don’t even have to move a muscle.

This is how it happens white light is made up of all the colours in the visible light spectrum.

When the sun shines though the ozone layer most of the blue light is reflected. Only some of the blue light goes through the ozone layer it’s the opposite for the red light, all of it goes this is called Rayleigh.
This is what makes the orangey look.

Rayleigh scattering happens throughout the day, but it is the most obvious at sunrise and sunset because the sun is at a very low angle.

Thanks to Jenny Gambirazzi who supplied information in a journal story on sunsets.
THANKS JENNY!!!
By Briar & Nicole

3 comments:

Ross n Rose said...

Hullo Room 9. I have really enjoyed reading all your blog entries. You are all very knowledgeable about UV rays and the effect the sun has on us. Interestingly, the sun is directly overhead here in Abu Dhabi. That is causing a problem for me as it reflects on the inside of my glasses and I get sunburnt eyes. So it is very important for me to wear sun block all the time, even if I am only outside for a very short time. Some people use umbrellas to shade themselves from the sun!!!!! The temperature was 44 degrees here on Wednesday. It was not too bad because we can escape inside where the air conditioner is turned on so it is nice and cool. We are told it will not be so pleasant when the humidity levels rise.
I enjoy reading the newsletter each week and finding out what you have all been up too. I was pleased to see you all did so well at the athletic sports - especially in the relays. Go Sacred Heart!!!
From Mrs Buxton in Abu Dhabi.

Anonymous said...

WOW HOW COOL IS THAT I DIDN'T KNOW THAT BEFORE

Weekly News said...

Hi Mrs Buxton,
Cool to see you are reading our blog. We think you should get an umbrella too. It might stop the sunlight reflecting off your glasses and into your eyes.

From Room 9