Do you know how big Clyde Dam is?
Room 9 went to Clyde Dam in a bus. Then the teacher split us all into 3 groups. We walked around the whole dam. It was awesome! We saw 4 fish in the dam water around the rocks. Everyone looked over the side.
Then we walked inside and talked to some man that opens the gates and turns on the turbines. There was someone else who trades and buys the electricity.
Next we walked to the turbines, one was working and one didn’t work. It was really hot in the room.
We saw maps of the dam. It was fun. After we went in some really big tunnels, it was awesome. We learnt a lot about Clyde Dam.
Antony
AWSOME!! We are at the Clyde Dam. I am so excited to go inside Clyde Dam.
Man the water is like a waterfall.
Now we are going inside the control room, but first we need to get a hardhat and vest.
For the first group we are going to the control room. The man inside talked to us all about Clyde Dam and his job His job is to look to see if there is enough power for New Zealand.
Next our group went inside to see the wedge plate in the middle of the dam. The dam is earthquake proof, which means it cannot break when there is an earthquake.
Inside Clyde Dam it is really NOISY, its like a big noise truck ZZOOMMING around on top of you.
After Clyde dam when we where on the way to the camp sight I thought that I would like to work in Clyde Dam if it is still standing.
Callum
Yes finally we’re at Clyde Dam! I’ve (well the whole class) have been so excited to see the biggest and coolest dam ever.
When I was walking out of the bus I saw it the CLYDE DAM. I was so amazed by it, I almost fell over. After a few minutes Mrs Lieshout called our names out and put us into 2 groups and we went through the gates and they gave as an orange hard hat and a bright orange vest.
The Group 1 people which, was the group that I was in, first went into the control room. Man, it was hot in there because the Clyde Dam person just kept talking and talking but it was very interesting stuff. He told us how water could be used to make electricity and all of the electricity is used every day. When people turn off all their lights you can see how much power they’re saving for the next day. Finally it’s time to move on to the next thing.
Yes, finally were out of the control room but where are we going now? “Wow what are those things?” I said. The Clyde Dam person said “They are called transformers” I said “Like the one in the movie Transformers.” He said “No that’s what we just call them that.” Ok now we’re going into the tunnel, which leads through the Clyde Dam.
Echo, echo, man, this place is hollow but it looks so tall. It looks really TALL, taller than a giraffe, taller than a T- Rex and bigger than an elephant. Well time to hop out now.
We went back to the front of the control room and took off our hats and vests. Now it’s time to go. So number off first and go to the bus and drive away.
By
Cameron.
“HORRAY finally we’re at Clyde Dam!” I said to myself, while walking out of the bus. Then I had one BIG look at the dam and was really amazed by the size of the dam. I almost fainted!
One minute later Mrs Lieshout (Room 9 teacher at Sacred Heart School) put us all in groups. After she put us all in groups she put us in lines. After she put us in lines, we walked over the bridge and got a hard hat and a vest to wear that were waiting for us on the steps front of the control room.
After putting on the vests and hard hats we entered the dam! We saw four HUGE magnets that would make electricity for all of Invercargill! After looking at the four HUGE magnets our guide showed us two models of the dam. He took us down under the dam where the shaft was spinning really fast. If you touch it your hand could get ripped off! Next we went out the back door were the tunnels were.
The guide then took us to the first tunnel that we were going to go into. I took one big look in the tunnel and it was just pitch black. The guide then turned the lights on and we entered the tunnel. He told us that if we got lost in the tunnel it would take half a day to find the way out. We went into the second tunnel and the tunnel just went straight, when we hit the end we looked up and down. It was really deep and really high. We left the tunnels and went to the back door of the control room.
At the back of the control room there was a concrete fence and when you look over the edge there was nine giant trouts! We went into the control room where a man was waiting for us. He then told us about how much power Invercargill was using and who was using the most power. When he had finished telling us about power we left the control room and had another look at the fish.
Finally, we went to the front of the control room and took our hard hats and vests off. After all of this we walked over the bridge and got onto the bus.
By Cody
Splash splash the Clyde Dam was dripping water. On school camp Room 9 drove to Clyde Dam and it is massive. When we got there we got to walk through it.
Once we got there Room 9 got put into groups. Each parent that came with us on camp got to go with their kids. Each group went to different stations in the dam. There was about 3 or 4 stations.
The first station that I went to was the turbine. When we got down we saw the shaft travelling as fast as the worlds fastest car. We didn’t get to see a turbine going with water but we got to see a real turbine however it was just a spare. It takes two cranes to lift one turbine.
Next we got to go and lean on it. Then it was our turn to go through the two dams. Only one concrete wall stands between us and the
Whole lake!!
I had lots of fun at the Clyde Dam and I want to go again.
By Harry


No comments:
Post a Comment