Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Great opening sentences.


Great opening sentences.

When you begin your story have you used?
                 A Quotation
          An Action
           A Question
          A Description
A Thought

We have been learning about great opening sentences for our writing.

WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO WOW YOUR READERS?

A.   So they don’t fall asleep
B.    So they can’t wait to see what happens next
C.    So they will continue to read on
D.   So they will become a famous author and make lots of readers


Some examples we wrote are:

Go Kavanagh, go Kavanagh! It was finally House Colour Day and we were doing the Tug of War. It was Year 4-6 and it was my team Kavanagh vs Marist. I want Kavanagh to win but secretly I think Marist will win. But I’ll try hard.
This is an example of An Action and A Thought.


Every year with the sun boiling down on us we have House Colour Day. We have challenges to show which House Team is the fastest, the best dressed and the strongest. I think sack racing is the best challenge.
This is an example of An Action, A Description and A Thought.

Kavanagh was as loud as a lion, in fact even louder. We were yelling our hearts out. I think, we were the loudest House. Go Kavanagh, woooo yay! Kavanagh we yelled marching with our head held high.
This is an example of An Action and A Description





No comments: