Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Camp Highlights


Catch of the Day

I could smell the salty, I felt the wet sour water splash on my face and I could see the fat, ugly Blue Cod getting reeled in. I started to daydream about catching a giant fish, until I felt the hook sink deeper. So I started to reel it in.

 “I hope it’s a fish, a giant fish!” I said to myself. The line got heavier every second, the rod started to drag my hand under the boat. I thought I was going to fall over the side. I tried and tried to reel it in but it got hooked up onto my Dad’s fishing rod. The rod bent so much that I thought it was going to snap!  

The more I pulled the closer it came to the surface, until finally it flew out of the water and on to the slippery deck. I was excited to see what it was. It was a giant Blue Cod! “I have the catch of the day!” I yelled.    

By Tanesha
       NZ Pigeon (Kereru) Spot

It all started when the Room 9 class of 2013 were tramping on the roads of Stewart Island. The tramp was pretty extreme it was mostly uphill with the occasional downhill. It was up then down all the way.

But I was determined to continue I looked high and low looking for the biggest pigeon you will ever see it was called the NZ Pigeon but still no luck finding it. But then when I had almost lost all hope the best sentence I could possibly hear was “We spotted a Kereru”. I ran down the hill as fast as I could I felt like I was going at the speed of light. Then when I got to the bottom there it was just there waddling around looking for food to feed its new born chicks. I approached the big bird very carefully. I felt like I was playing the most intense game of operation ever.

I crept closer and closer, the sun glistened off the bird’s ruby red eyes. Its colours made it look like a big, green, fluffy, bowling ball. It also had a distinct white chest. The bird also had tiny little feet but on the end of those feet very sharp talons. I looked at him and he looked straight back then he spread his big large green wings and flew away into a nest in a high tree.

I looked behind me. Then bang, there was another one. I looked over the face of the hill and I saw an aerial view over the beach. It was an amazing view.
Max


Fishing

The Mollymawks wait quietly as they wait for me to pull in a fish. WOW! I felt a humongous pull. I  began to wind in my line, I saw the Mollymawk get closer to my line.

I saw a red flash quickly out of the corner of my eye, the Mollymawk began to raise its wings. I could slowly see the fish coming out of the water. “We’ll have to reel it in quick” Dad said.

The Mollymawk started to flap its wings but I reeled it up quicker. The Mollymawk went away. It had given up on me. The fish was a wait for it……nearly there……A RED COD!!! OMG, OMG I thought to myself.

I had never caught a Red Cod before and its teeth were massive. I wish my goldfish had teeth like that.

By Aimee
  
       The Dolphin Express.

Do you remember going on a boat for the first time? Well I am going to tell you about my first time.

It was a nice calm day and the waves were small and calm. It was not cloudy. It was a sunny day. There was a buzz of excitement all around the boat and in the boat. But some people were nervous like me.

But then the boat stopped in the in the middle of the sea. The man with the microphone said “This is a rear sight some dolphins have come and to welcome us.” There was a big rush outside of the boat and there were dolphins were jumping and leaping out and in the water.

It was so wonderful and so pretty but the man with the microphone said “Sorry we’ve got to get moving we are already late.” So sadly we had to get ready for the boat to move again.

When we were near Stewart Island (The place we were going) all you could see is water, trees, beaches, bushes and more water. Then when we got closer you could see heaps of different things like boats, the dock, some buildings and birds. It all looked so amazing together.

So that was my highlight of 2013 Stewart Island Camp and my first time on a boat.

By Caitlin Smith.   


The Secret of the Ocean

The cold wet rain made puddles on the deck floor. Auroa. The rough sea made the boat sway side to side. I smell the fresh air of New Zealand.

Max, Mini and I were holding on to the metal bar. I see Mollymawks glide the sea winds, all of a sudden the boat tilts and a gigantic wave appears. I feel the wave land on top of me. I grip the metal bar strongly. I taste the salty water in my mouth.“Ha ha ha” everyone on the boat laughs.

I go down to sit on Dad’s knee I watch the waves clash together a voice on the speaker says “We are now in Bluff please stay seated”.

As the boat bumps against the wharf I know I’m home.     



Caleb 

The Splash of the Dolphins.

Have you ever smelt or felt the true air of Aotearoa?

The smell of air and fresh salt water splashed through my face. The taste of salt spread throughout my mouth.

While my eyes were tight shut with sea water, pretty, silver, bottle-nosed dolphins came jumping up the side of the boat.

The dolphins jumped and dived around the monster boat like a trampoline. They splashed up and down like they had seen millions of krill to eat.

I felt queasy, but the dolphins stopped that feeling. I wondered if they will wave… as we got closer to the harbour, we waved goodbye…

Charlotte



The Amazing Beach

I saw the water glistening out at sea. I heard the kids laughing.

Aimee yelled out to me and said“ Claire come and help me”. So I said “OK lets go!” Screaming, yelling. THERE IS A BIG WAVE then it was quiet, there was no screaming, no yelling it wasn’t noisy at all. I could hear waves crashing and banging on the sea shore.

“Come and help me” said Kayla. I said to Aimee that I need to help Kayla because the wall wasn’t high enough. “Shaun watch out here comes a big wave.” Ahhhhhhh! Splash I got all wet.

“Time to go now” said Mrs Lieshout. So we walked up the big steep hill it was all muddy. We got up to the top of the hill and we went to the backpackers.

By Claire

The Flying Surprise!!!

Wow! The clear, blue, water glimmering and sparkling and the sun reflecting onto my face. Splash! Whoosh! Goes the boat like it is on racing tracks.

I squeeze into a tight space and get the splash of my life. The smell of the sea and the sound of the Mollymawks and other birds squawking their heads off made me think if I should go back inside.

But wait……Fins! What could it be! Seals?nah, Sharks? Never oh it’s a dolphin! It’s the flying surprise! You can see them underwater, Oh, what a sight!

The boats stopped to see the beautiful creatures. They come closer and closer! Before we know we take off again. Goodbye little dolphins.

Now were here and the ride went so fast! Now we just have to wait till the next trip to come! Maybe the dolphins will give us visit, Fingers crossed!

 Janelle
 


Worrying Boat Ride

Our parents send us to school to learn but everything had changed majorly this time. Nothing was normal.

The smell of the salty water spreads throughout the boat as quickly as lightning. The time had come for the captain of the boat to tell us what weather we would hit it could change everything dramatically. “ Well ummm I don’t know “ Wait what?” So many things go through my head. Now the worrying begins.

The boat ride got rougher and rougher and rougher which of course made you again feel sick. At the same time, I was quite joyful watching the boys getting absolutely drenched through the security cameras. What could be better? Who cares about feeling sick I was having a great time!

I glanced over at the Captain and he is munching away at a Moro Bar. Why didn’t he give it to  me?  I mean it’s my favourite chocolate bar. I look at him innocently maybe he might fall for my innocent eyes. But no he was already finished. I couldn’t stand looking at him anymore so I look out the window and I see the Twai chimney. We are getting closer and as soon as you know it we are desperately waiting to put our foot down on Invercargill land.

By Kayla
-->
Sandcastle Smash

It was a hot summer’s day in Stewart Island. The weather was great, it was the perfect day to spend at the beach and that’s exactly where we were.

The waves were crashing, water was splashing and Kayla, Aimee and I went straight to work building our sandcastle.

We knew the high tide was going to come in soon so we made a moat around the sandcastles base and went about 1 meter closer to the water to make a giant wall that was going to stop the tide from coming in.

After about 10 minutes of building the giant wall we decided to make a few smaller moats and walls in front on the big wall. Jake, Caleb and Mini were building a sandcastle beside us so we joined forces and made everything twice as big including the sandcastle. It looked awesome.

“Times up” Mrs Lieshout yelled. I could hear the disappointed voices as I got up and brushed the soft sand off my hands and legs and  I joined the class as we gathered together. We numbered off and we set out for our long tiring walk back.
Natayla
-->
FISHING

And away we go!

 We hadn’t caught any fish so we really needed this new position! The boat was rocky and cold, yet it was getting more fun by the second. Finally the boat stopped. We were ready to fish. All that matters is to have a powerful tug and not go home without a member all because of you. Once I’d figured that out I was satisfied and figured I was sure to catch a fish now!

J

I was right. But I wish I wasn’t.

The so called “fish” I caught was smaller than my pencil. And my pencil was smaller than my brothers’ pet tadpole. Also my brothers’ old pet tadpole was smaller than……- Ok, I think I’m lying a bit too much now, but in short, it was tiny.

L

This one’s gotta be a biggie! Man, it was at least 10,000Kgs! I’d then realised it was just the bait magnifying in the water, but… The bait was orange! I’d then realized it was actually a fish! And even more, it was a Flying Gurnard! As I reeled it in, to me it was more like a giant flying carrot with big teddy bear eyes. As it was placed in the box it just lay there like Pacman when he comes to the edge.

I just loved the fishing and as disgusting as kissing the fish may have been, I hope that moment will one-day come again.
Nathan
Cool Fishing Trip

 “I got a bite!” I shouted “I think it’s a Blue Cod. I reel the fish in. Finally the big strong fish is on the boat. The fish was a Trumpeter.

 The fish was yellow and grey colours. It had huge eyes. Morgan, the one who fillets the fish, was filleting my fish and blood came pouring out of its body.

 After I caught my fish everyone else started catching fish. Some were lucky enough to catch two fish. Most fish were Blue Cod. We had enough of fishing. We caught 25 fish. We made it back to the harbour and swapped groups.

I loved this fishing trip I caught my 2nd fish. I would love to go fishing again.

Cory

 

Fishing

“Here’s a good spot now let your hooks sink down and start catching those fish” said Tai the captain of the boat. I quickly check that my hook has lots of bait and check that  the brakes are working. Then I hang the rod over the side of the boat and turn off the brakes and let the hook sink…………

Eventually the hook hits the bottom of the sea and I put on the brakes. You need the hook at the bottom of the sea because that’s where the Blue Cod live. After, I wait until I feel a fish nibbling and if I feel a fish nibbling I yank the rod up into the fish’s upper lip…..

I’ve been waiting forever now and still no nibbles. I think my hair must have been turning grey. “I’ve got a fish. Yes, I’ve got a fish” I shouted, as I yank the hook and reel it in and what? It wasn’t a fish, it was a …… wait for it nothing. I’m absolutely gutted the fish even took some of my bait.

I let the hook out again and I feel something nibbling and this time I’m certain. So I yank the hook up and reel it in and it was a miracle, it was a living Blue Cod. People were shouting at me to kiss it, it was an easy choice. I gave it a big sloppy kiss while posing for the photo of course. It tasted wet and salty, yum. It even smelt like that and I could see the poor fish struggling for water and I could hear it panting and I could hear the Mollymawks and gulls fighting and squawking and the people talking.

Later I saw a spare rod so I went fishing again. I hung the rod over the side of the boat and let the hook sink to the bottom of the sea. After I put the brakes on and next I feel some nibbles so I yank the hook up and reel it in and it was my second Blue Cod.  
  Jacob D                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
Fish of the day!

Now and then, but not often, when the day was warm enough, Mr Forde took, Group 2 and Group 4 fishing out at sea.

I felt really nervous when we had to reel in the fish and get on the boat. When we had to kiss the fish all I could taste was that yucky, wet, slimy fish running through my mouth.

When I touched the fish it felt all slimy, wet, and gooey ooh and I thought it wasn’t that pleasant.

All I could smell was the FRESH Fish digging into my nose.

I thought that if you dropped the Fish it would have a spaz attack, and it did. And all I could see was those cheeky Mollymawks eyeing up the Fish.

As the waves got calmer I knew that we are getting closer and that we are getting closer to the lower waves and that we are home!!

Georgie  

-->

Victory Dance

“I’m on a boat I’m on a boat”.

“CAA CAA CAA”. “Shut up gulls”. “Ok we’re here now.” said Tye. Tye and Morgan explained how to fish and get this Tom was the last one to get a rod but yet he was the first one to catch a fish! Then a few of the others caught some fish. “Reel the rods in guys.” said Tye.
We were off to fish somewhere else.
“Yahoo it’s my turn now”. “La la la la la la la” I was waiting a long time to catch a fish. Then Nathan caught a gurnard. Next something was tugging at both mine and Caleb’s line. We both reeled our lines in. Our lines were tangled up? And guess what was at the end of our lines…. A trumpeter!


We both caught it but everyone kept saying Caleb caught it “I did too” I repeatedly said. “Well if it starts to rain you put on a coat”. (That’s just a fishing metaphor meaning don’t give up) Later on guess what? I caught a fish victory dance yeah! It was too big. Awwww!!!

 Next I watched Morgan massacre fish. They were probably saying “This is diabolically evil!” Then fishing time was over. Dun dun dun. Nooo. Well at least it was totally radical! 

Logan
 Fishing
Have you ever been fishing? Well I have its really fun.

When we were going fishing we had to keep moving because we weren’t catching anything.

Then finally we were catching some fish. I was waiting and waiting and waiting I finally caught a fish.

Once I reeled it in we took photos click, click, click, click, click, click, smile, smile, smile.

When we were finished we cut my fish up. Some fish we used as bait.

We were waiting for everyone to catch a fish. But sadly one person missed out, catching a fish. Now do you think fishing is fun, I DO!
Bridie


Dolphin!Dolphin!Dolphin!Dolphin!

“Vrnn” went the boat as we left Bluff on our way to Stewart Island. Yeah! The kids were screaming and shouting as they were having a good time. You could smell the salty, odour that came from the sea and you could feel the cold cool air, as the boat drove past the islands. All you could hope for now was to spot a Hectors dolphin.

A few minutes ticked by and no one had spotted a Hectors dolphin yet. But then the sea got a bit choppy and sickening. The poor birds must’ve been hungry that day because no one fed the birds.

After about five minutes we said goodbye to our new friends and soon arrived at Stewart Island. Our adventure has just begun.



By Jake
 


Fishing At Stewart Island.

YAY!! I caught the first fish. It was so exciting. Here comes the worst part I had to kiss it. Everyone caught a fish. The feeling of catching a fish is awesome. The little nibbles on the line and the pull of the line.

The skipper Tye was so cool. But a guy called Morgan who filleted the fish was even cooler because he let us throw the scraps of the Blue Cod for the albatross. Well that’s my day. It’s a dream come true
Josh
 
     Fishing

Have you ever reeled in a Blue Cod? Well I have! It was on camp but if you have not I am going to tell you what you need and how to hook up a Blue Cod.

The Difference between a Sea Rod and River Rod.

If you are going out to sea you needed a sea rod the difference between a sea rod and a river rod, is a river rod you have to cast and with a sea rod it gets dropped to the bottom.

How to use a Sea Rod.

 On the side of the rod there will be a switch flick it down and put your finger under the line when the line starts to get loose flick the switch back up and wait.

How far down you have to go to hook up with a Blue Cod?

You have to go to the bottom because Blue Cod eat stuff off the bottom of the sea.

How do you hook up with a Blue Cod?

When you start to get bites flick your rod up in the air. If you get the feeling on your rod that something is trying to escape from the rod then start to reel it in.

So now you know how to go to sea hopefully you go, good luck.      

Justin 
-->
Fish and Chips on Camp

 When I woke up at Stewart Island camp I wondered where I was. But then I remembered because I could hear kids running about.

I got changed and went to have breakfast. I ate through one and a half bowls of skippies, one bowl of fruit salad and three slices of toast. When we were all finished we went to pack our day packs. Then we started our walk to the wharf.

As we were walking to the wharf, I saw the community centre, the school, the weather station and more! Also I heard the tweet of amazing birds. The name of the town was Oban. My friend Caitlin was as happy as she could be.

Finally we reached the wharf. The fishing boat called the Aurora was waiting for us. We board the boat and I hear the kids laughter and then the skipper, Tai tells us about the boat. He walks to the front of the boat and the engine rumbles and we were off!
 Portia

-->
Fishing

The boat was rocking slowly side to side, I gently cast my rod into the water. Splash, the hook went slowly down. I think it was 1 to 2 minutes later when I felt a little tug on my fishing rod.

 And another tug, ‘I think I have something’ I said to myself quietly. I pulled the rod up so the hook could go into the fish’s lip. I started reeling it in, I think I can see something in the water. Yes I have caught my first fish!

I grabbed my fish with my bare hands. It was a Blue Cod. I got my photo taken with my fish. My Dad said I had to kiss my first fish. ‘I would never kiss a fish, imagine the taste of salt all slimy. I hope I can go fishing again.
Mckenzie
-->
Rock Adventures

 The hot, sunny day made the sand on my legs feel like they were cooking in a hot pot of boiling water.

The hot sand was rocket shooting sand up my finger nails as I dug deeper and deeper into the sand.I felt like I was on a TV show and I was discovering the secret of the world!

The rock kept on getting bigger and as I dug deeper in the mystery, I tried to lift the rock out but sadly failed.

The failure sank into me so I stopped digging, I washed my sandy hands in the salty water to get at least some of the sand off, and I walked away from the rock miles and miles away.

I wondered if anyone else could find that rock and do exactly what I did. I wonder…
Monique 

-->
Fishing is Awesome

Riding up to Ulva Island on the Aurora dropping of some people for a walk through the bush, while the rest of us go out catching some fish. I was just waiting it seemed like forever until we there to fish. All you see are albatross with monobrows and small seagulls diving in the water with strength.

When we got there I had to wait very patiently for a rod. On my first drop I caught a fish in the top 4 in size. It was green. I was eating my cookie waiting for my next go.

On my next drop it took over 20 or more drops. I was about to give it to Jake when bite I yanked it up. I reeled and reeled until I saw a Red Cod with a hook in its eye socket. It went up through his (her) jaw out through his (her) eye. We threw it at the birds for a tasty snack.



We went back to Ulva Island to switch.  
Shaun  

-->
Fishing

Have you ever been fishing on a boat well that’s what we did on camp at Stewart Island.  If you want to hear the story don’t jump over board.

This is what we used to catch the fish rod, reel, bait, line, sinker, hook and a boat. We were waiting on the wharf and then a fishing boat came round the corner and backed into the wharf. We got on and zoomed to the fishing spot.  We got our rods ready and dropped the line until it hit the bottom.

Then BITE I’ve got a fish. I pulled it up and it was a small one. I kissed it then let it go back into the ocean. Next I caught another one half an hour later which was bad. We moved spots heaps of times so we could catch more fish.

That was our fishing trip it was really fun. I hope you had fun listening

By Tom

-->
The Hidden Secrets of the Deep Sea

Have you ever had that feeling of excitement of reeling in a Blue Cod? And have you ever wondered if  you are ever going to catch a fish? Well I have.

To be honest I didn’t have high hopes of catching a fish. I don’t think anyone else did either but just about everyone caught a fish.

But I’m going to tell you about my fish and how I reeled it in. So like I said I didn’t have high hopes of catching a fish But I tried to keep positive. After a while I started to get very impatient. Then the unthinkable happened I got bites on the bait. So I reeled it in so fast, it felt like my arm would fall off but it didn’t.

That’s when my adventure started I was still reeling it in. It felt like ages but it was kind of fast at the same time somehow.But after that adrenaline pumping journey it was all worth it because I caught what I was looking for the beautiful, ugly looking Blue Cod!  
William
 
-->
Fishing

Have you ever been fishing at Stewart Island/ Rakura? I have and I loved it.

 It all started on the fishing boat then suddenly I felt the tip of the fishing rod bending. I wondered if the fish would be big or small or even medium sized or if I wouldn’t catch one at all.

So I reeled it in to check but no luck just a little bit of the bait had been nibbled. I threw it back in the water and tried again and then another nibble and another. So I tugged as hard as I could and started reeling it in again and I had a catch.

 I gave it to Morgan the person who helped us put the bait on. I was so excited then Morgan put some more bait on for me.
Zane


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done everybody. I have really enjoyed your accounts of camp especially the fishing stories.
Mr Forde